LOWTHER 01B - Lowther Castle
Lowther Castle in the Eden District of Cumbria.
A country house, now a ruin. This gothic style sham castle built 1806-14 was designed by Robert Smirke for William Lowther, the 1st Earl of Lonsdale.
In the early 1900s Hugh Lowther, the 5th Earl of Lonsdale inherited the castle, but his expensive lifestyle brought financial problems and he was forced to leave the castle in 1935. It was then requisitioned for the war effort, to be used for tank development. It was returned to the family in poor condition in the 1950s. James Lowther, the 7th Earl of Lonsdale had inherited the estate in 1953, but could not afford the restoration work so he demolished the building, leaving just the outer shell.
In 2000, Lowther Estate and English Heritage joined forces to secure funding to restore the estate which is now a major tourist attraction.
Click here to visit the website
November 17, 2018
This image is the property of Joan Martin (PHOTO NORTH uk) All Rights Reserved
Mpixels (68.7 MB uncompressed) - 6000x4000 pixels (20.0x13.3 in / 50.8x33.9 cm at 300 ppi)